We are living in an era of constant rapid change, in which uncertainty and volatility will continue as the new norm even after COVID 19 has passed. Organisations are more concerned than ever about the future, and what we can and should do now to prepare for it.
Foresight is simply insight how and why the future will be different from today. Developing foresight is used to inform our vision of the future we want to achieve, so that we can design and execute strategy to make that future happen. We use strategic foresight in particular situations that are characterised as being in a VUCA (volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous) context – scenarios which make our world largely unpredictable and the future fairly unknown.
In this workshop, participants will be guided in a framework with a step-by-step process, and equipped with toolkit, to examine the past and present within their market or industry, while building sensible scenarios for the future. The workshop will culminate with participants creating a ‘white paper’ based on the context their respective organisations are situated in with respect to opportunities and challenges they are facing.
In this 2-day workshop, participants will be guided to apply the strategic foresight framework and toolkit in which they will:
- Identify the Industry and Domain they are seeking to focus on;
- Scan for Driving Forces and Trends affecting their domain;
- Generate Scenarios, or plausible futures for their industry and domain;
- Use Methods to Communicate these Futures across their teams and organisation;
- Devise Milestones to ensure success in these futures; and
- Propose Action Steps that can be implemented now to start.
The main principles of foresight from a practitioner’s point of view will be shared, including an approach by which the participants can learn about the future and study trends, drivers and signals of change. Special emphasis will be given to scenarios, which are one of the main tools that are used.
Participants will engage in plenary sessions, interactive workshops, and case discussions with Teaching Fellows from Harvard University and other world-leading institutions. The programme also serves as a forum for networking and small group discussion by participants in discussing some of the challenges they are facing or have faced.
Through the program, participants will:
- Understand the value of strategic foresight in a VUCA context
- Learn about the different types of futures and analysing each of these
- Gain a toolkit of skills on scenario planning, systems approach, and decision making
- Map out and analyse the current opportunities and challenges faced by their organisations
- Identify the common patterns and transformational factors from which strategies will be developed
- Create the framework of a plan for how to put the concepts learned into action
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Working Professionals in Business, Government, International Organisations, and Non-Profit Organisations who hold mid- to senior-level decision making roles.
PROGRAMME & SPEAKERS
Harvard University, MPA
Samuel Hungsoo Kim, a Korean national, is the Founding President of the Center for Asia Leadership. He is passionate about nurturing and empowering talent in Asia and runs over 70 programs annually, in 31 Asian countries, to help the region’s emerging leaders explore ways of being socially responsible as they face today’s complex challenges. His research and programs focus on overcoming the immunity to change, addressing maladaptive leadership practices, defining leadership in the times of an absence of authority, and dealing with macro and micro uncertainties. To date, some 42,000 burgeoning and established leaders from the governmental, political, non-profit, and corporate spheres in Asia have benefited from his programs.
Prior to establishing CAL, Samuel worked in a wide range of sectors, from strategy consulting and social entrepreneurship to international development, politics, and government. He has worked for and with over 30 renowned organisations, including the United Nations, UNESCO, Samsung, and Toyota. He also has served as a visiting fellow at the Asia Center at Harvard University and the Kellogg School of Management in Northwestern University. Samuel holds a MPA from Harvard University. He is the editor of twelve books and regularly writes opinion pieces and editorials.
Dr. Richard Lum
University of Hawaii, PhD
CEO, Vision Foresight Strategy
Dr. Richard Lum is an academically trained futurist and chief executive of Vision Foresight Strategy LLC (VFS), a foresight and strategic analysis firm based in Honolulu. He has conducted foresight and strategy work on projects for organizations such as U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, U.S. Special Operations Command, the European Commission, the UK government, the Canadian government, the Singaporean government, NASA, and PepsiCo.
Dr. Lum is the author of 4 Steps to the Future: A Quick and Clean Guide to Creating Foresight and his contributions were featured in the book Thinking about the Future: Guidelines for Strategic Foresight (2006), A Careful Revolution (2019, co-authored with Anne Gibbon), and Strategic Latency (2020, forthcoming). He has been published in the Journal of Futures Studies, the journal Futures, International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, World Future Review, and Small Wars Journal. Richard is a Nonresident Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council. He holds a PhD in Political Science from the futures studies program at the University of Hawai‘I and EMBA from Harvard University. His dissertation research focused on developing a conceptual framework for designing future governance systems.
HOW TO REGISTER
- Click “Get Tickets Here” above, or visit Eventbrite. Select the number of tickets and fill in the required details.
- You may opt to pay immediately via a Paypal account, by credit or debit card OR by invoice.
- If you choose to pay by invoice, we will be sending you an invoice within five (5) working days and all payment has to be made BEFORE the workshop.
- All payment to be made to Star Media Group Berhad. If you are submitting a grant to HRD Corp, please notify us once you have registered.
- Grant application via HRD Corp must be done BEFORE the event.
- Registration based on a first come first serve basis. Due to the interactive nature of this program and the practice of social distancing, the available seats are limited.
- We will adhere to strict hygiene practices as advised by the Malaysian National Security Council (MKN) during the workshop.
- Workshop ticket includes SST charges, COVID-19 antigen rapid test kit, teaching fee, programme materials and meals for both days (excludes travel and accommodation expenses).
- This programme is HRD Corp claimable under STAR MEDIA GROUP BERHAD.